Our History

Immanuel Luthern Church original structureThe ministry of Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church dates back to the 1860’s when twenty families began the first steps to form a place of worship for settlers of German heritage in the Webster community.  After an eight-year struggle, they erected a church building at the northwest corner of Five Mile Line Road and Ridge Road.  (This structure is pictured on the left.)  It was dedicated on September 13, 1868.  A constitution was adopted declaring the Lutheran Confessions and designating the congregation as the German Evangelical Lutheran Church.  The power of our historic Lutheran faith is deeply rooted in the lives and spirit of the German families who founded this Deutsches Evangelishe Immanuels Kirche over 140 years ago.

Immanuel Lutheran Church current structureAfter realizing that the current church was too small, the congregation voted to build a new church at our current location, 131 West Main Street.  The new church was dedicated on December 23, 1888.  Throughout the years, many changes and improvements have been made, including the addition of our current Education Wing (built in 1966), installation of an elevator (dedicated on April 7, 1987) and a new organ, designed, built and installed by the Delaware Organ Company (dedicated on November 8, 1987).